The Joy of Collecting History
About 12 years ago I discovered a passion for collecting
original vintage photography. Not
reproductions of historical figures and events , but the original photo
actually taken and produced at the same time of the event. It began with vintage baseball wire
photos. The actual photos used for
publication. Like a 1918 babe Ruth
photo, taken and produced in 1918, as a Boston Red Sox pitcher. Then it was vintage Hollywood photos, notorious
gangster photos, etc, etc. I
just find it exciting to own a genuine, time-period photo that captured someone
or something incredibly historical when that event actually occurred!
So, it is no surprise to me that a very noticeable surge in the Original-Photography genre has been going on for the past couple years. Values and interest have skyrocketed. But, in the past few months, this excitement in photography collecting has been even more amazing. Here is just one example. A very well known photography dealer has 3 or 4 auctions a year. His primary focus was always vintage baseball. But a few years ago he started to move increasingly into vintage Hollywood, gangsters and science. But classic sports always dominated his auctions. Until Last week . Below was the top 15 photos sold. Notice that in the top 15 four photos are sports related and one is space related and a staggering NINE are vintage Hollywood. Also, take a look at WHO sold far better than anyone else…. Something to keep an eye on in the near and long term future.
Babe Ruth 1921 photo Sold for $4600
Marilyn Monroe original 1954 photo .Sold for: $2358
Mickey Mantle photo from 1957 .......Sold for: $1725
Mickey Mantle photo from 1951 .......Sold for: $1675
Vietnam Photo 1972 ........................Sold for: $1553
Marilyn Monroe original 1962 photo Sold for : $1526
Marilyn Monroe original 1956 photo .Sold for: $1403
Apollo 13 Space Photo 1968 ...........Sold for : $1380
Marilyn Monroe original 1951photo ....Sold for : $1257
Mickey Mantle photo from 1954 ........Sold for : $1225
Greta Garbo photo ........................Sold for : $1190
Elvis Presley photo ..........................Sold for : $1136
Beatles 1964 photo ..........................Sold for : $1136
Marilyn Monroe original 1951 photo .. Sold for $1059
Marilyn Monroe original 1957 photo ..Sold for: $1036
Meanwhile, take a look at our Vintage Photo Collection for some amazing historical photography. ...we have over 200 rare vintage photos, so be sure to see them all..
Thank you for providing the COA's for the lobby cards I purchased. The lobby cards are great and their grading very accurate. It is a pleasure doing...
Read More ->
Lugosi and Chaney
Kevin, you represent your products well. Thank you for helping me own a piece of History. Lugosi and Chaney's autograph's are exactly how you...
Read More ->
- Is Collecting Immune to Recession?
- History of Movie Posters
- Safe Buying Online Guide
- Our LIFETIME GUARANTEE
- Lobby Cards
- How to SEARCH for items on this web site
- Wizard of OZ Turns 75
- Make an Offer Day - April 1, 2016
- Autograph Collectors: Don't Ever Be Scammed Again
- Babe Ruth Ball sells for $264,500
- Interior Designers Challenged by Atypical Projects
- Hollywood History: A Love Affair with America
- Online Payment SCAMS
- Top Ten Most Valuable Autographs
- My Week With Marilyn
- Frank Sinatra "High Society" Co-Star Dead at 95
- Historic Photography
- Thank You Neil Armstrong
- Wizard of OZ Missing Scene
- Fraud Autograph Seller Attacks Us! Reviews Complaints Conway's
- Ten Warning Signs a Dealer May Be Selling Autograph Forgeries
- Holy Grail of Collecting: Wizard of OZ
- Most Valuable Autograph Ever Sold
- A Chilling Letter from the "Father of the Nuclear Submarine"
- Investment Demand Skyrockets for Vintage Sports Memorabilia
- Judy Sings Merry Christmas
- Magic of Provenance
- MINT "Rolled" Vintage Movie Posters - Real or FAKE?
- Pawn Stars Flawed Appraisals: My Side of the Story
- Rare Vintage Horror Discovery!
- Vintage Movie Posters Sign-up Form
- Vintage Photograph Increasing Demand
- What Makes a Collectible Valuable?
- WHY Authenticity Means Everything!
- Why You Should Buy Autographs ONLY from a UACC Dealer