MINT "Rolled" Vintage Movie Posters - Real or FAKE?
- Caveat Emptor -
YES Even With Collectibles!
So, let me say first and foremost to stay away from any movie poster issued prior to 1980 that is identified as "rolled". Prior to 1980 all original movie posters were folded by the movie studios and the poster distribution services like National Screen Service (NSS). Now, I realize there are a couple dealers that claim there are vintage movie posters that were rolled and hence gives such dealers justification to sell these "rolled" posters at exorbitant prices (such as a rolled vintage Beatles poster for 5 times normal price). However, evidence that these "rolled' posters are original is questionable and I have yet to read anything from either the studios or distribution services or anything conclusive that these "rolled posters" are real originals and NOT possible reproductions. As with any valuable collectibles, fine art, etc, do diligence, ask questions and if it looks to good to be true (i.e., a 1949 mint condition, rolled movie poster) a big red flag should go up.
Remember genuine vintage movie posters were used to promote a film during that period and most were handled extensively and hence heavy wear. Also, vintage posters naturally start to develop a vintage tone and often a brittleness that all acid based paper experiences . Most paper prior to 1970s was NOT acid free which is why many collectors have their valuable posters linen backed which deacifies the vintage paper and hence preserves it from deterioration.
* And, this underscores the importance of working with a reputable dealer that Guarantees Authenticity of everything they sell.
Over the coming weeks we will discuss other characteristics to look for in confirming your posters are not reproductions. i.e. paper type, markings on bottom border, etc. Meanwhile, Happy Treasure Hunting!
Professional, courteous, patient , understanding and highly informative- These are just some of the words to describe a great dealer of memorabilia....
Read More ->
Marx Bros Autographs
1st time buyer and Kevin was simply perfect to work with! GREAT PACKING for this framed Marx Brothers Autographed set! BEAUTIFUL EXAMPLE! My son is...
Read More ->
- Is Collecting Immune to Recession?
- History of Movie Posters
- Safe Buying Online Guide
- Our LIFETIME GUARANTEE
- Lobby Cards
- How to SEARCH for items on this web site
- Wizard of OZ Turns 75
- Make an Offer Day - April 1, 2016
- Autograph Collectors: Don't Ever Be Scammed Again
- Babe Ruth Ball sells for $264,500
- Interior Designers Challenged by Atypical Projects
- Hollywood History: A Love Affair with America
- Online Payment SCAMS
- Top Ten Most Valuable Autographs
- My Week With Marilyn
- Frank Sinatra "High Society" Co-Star Dead at 95
- Historic Photography
- Thank You Neil Armstrong
- Wizard of OZ Missing Scene
- Fraud Autograph Seller Attacks Us! Reviews Complaints Conway's
- Ten Warning Signs a Dealer May Be Selling Autograph Forgeries
- Holy Grail of Collecting: Wizard of OZ
- Most Valuable Autograph Ever Sold
- A Chilling Letter from the "Father of the Nuclear Submarine"
- Investment Demand Skyrockets for Vintage Sports Memorabilia
- Judy Sings Merry Christmas
- Magic of Provenance
- MINT "Rolled" Vintage Movie Posters - Real or FAKE?
- Pawn Stars Flawed Appraisals: My Side of the Story
- Rare Vintage Horror Discovery!
- Vintage Movie Posters Sign-up Form
- Vintage Photograph Increasing Demand
- What Makes a Collectible Valuable?
- WHY Authenticity Means Everything!
- Why You Should Buy Autographs ONLY from a UACC Dealer